What are the benefits of acupuncture?
To learn about acupuncture, we must first know what this alternative technique is, whose benefits have made it a guaranteed medical method.
What is Acupuncture?
To begin with, acupuncture is a practice that emerged from traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) in which needles are inserted into specific locations on the body to treat diseases. It involves the stimulation of anatomical locations on or in the skin using a variety of techniques. In most cases, thin metal needles.
Traditional Chinese medicine explains acupuncture as a technique to balance the flow of energy or life force, known as “chi” or “qi”, which is believed to flow through channels (meridians) in the body. By inserting needles into specific points on these meridians, acupuncturists believe that the flow of energy is rebalanced.
Finally, Western acupuncture incorporates medical traditions from China, Japan, Korea and other countries. The most studied mechanism is the stimulation of acupuncture points. This, as it was said, employs the penetration of the skin by means of metallic needles, which are manipulated manually or by electrical stimulation.
Benefits of Acupuncture
Chronic pain is undoubtedly one of the most common reasons why people seek acupuncture therapy. But there are several scientifically studied reasons that this technique can alleviate.
It stimulates fertility
To begin with, acupuncture seems to be a useful tool for improving the pregnancy rate. This technique can reduce the stress hormones that promote infertility. It also helps increase blood flow to the uterus by making the uterine wall thicker and thus facilitating fertility. In addition, it regulates the menstrual cycle, making family planning easier. Acupuncture also helps women who suffer from a hormonal imbalance called polycystic ovary syndrome. In addition, it strengthens the immune system. In this way, it prevents disease and weakness that can reduce the chances of fertility.
Relieves Back Pain
Treating diseases with acupuncture. The use of acupuncture therapy to relieve chronic back pain is becoming more common. As we have said, it is very effective for chronic pain. Acupuncture may have an analgesic effect in these cases. In addition, it can also change a patient’s perception of pain and thus alleviate symptoms.
- May ease symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression: Acupuncture treatments that target different parts of the body can relieve different types of disorders. It fights stress, anxiety and depression by increasing the efficiency of the medication. A study in China looked at the combination of acupuncture and medication. It found that a low dose of fluoxetine (Prozac), combined with acupuncture, gave surprising results. It was as effective in reducing anxiety in patients being treated for depression as the full dose of medication. The addition of acupuncture also reduces the side effects of the drug. These may include nausea or weight gain. Also difficulty in maintaining an erection, delayed ejaculation and a decreased sex drive.
- Relieves heartburn symptoms in pregnant women: Acupuncture may relieve heartburn in pregnant women. So says a study published in 2009 by researchers at the University of Sao Paulo. A total of 42 pregnant women were assigned in two groups to be treated, or not, with acupuncture. They found that, in those women who received the acupuncture treatment, significant improvements in their symptoms could be seen. It could also be seen that those women used less medication and had a greater improvement in their disabilities compared to the group of women who did not receive acupuncture.
- May relieve headaches: Regular acupuncture therapy is effective in preventing or reducing headache intensity. This is particularly true for migraines. According to this research, adding acupuncture to the symptomatic treatment of attacks reduces the frequency of headaches. In addition, the authors mention that previous available trials also suggest that acupuncture may be at least as effective as treatment with prophylactic drugs. It thus seems that acupuncture can be considered a treatment option for those affected by migraine.
- It may have an effect on the immune system: According to researchers at Kyung Hee University in South Korea, electroacupuncture treatment not only improves innate immunity but also modulates the adaptive immune system.
- May be favorable in chronic pain: According to a study published in 2014, acupuncture is associated with reductions in chronic pain compared to sham acupuncture and compared to no acupuncture. The differences between true and sham acupuncture are less than those between true and control acupuncture without acupuncture.
- May lead to end of obesity: The influence of acupuncture therapy on obesity is not well documented. There are not enough studies. Therefore, there is not enough evidence to suggest that it might be an effective treatment to help you lose weight. After analyzing 31 studies with a total of 3,013 people, some research in Korea came to the following conclusion Acupuncture therapy would lead to a greater decrease in body weight. It would even be more effective than lifestyle changes or medication.